Top 3 churches in Graz

The Cathedral of Graz

The Cathedral of Graz ©barnyz/Flick

Graz has many beautiful sites and today we present you the top 3 churches of the city including the Cathedral of Graz, the Franciscan Church and the Parish Church of the Holy Blood of Jesus.

The Cathedral of Graz was the church of the castle, built between 1439 – 1464 for Emperor Friedrich III. The western portal carries the crest of the king and his famous motto AEIOU. The Franciscan Church once belonged to the Minorite order, but in 1515 was entrusted to the Franciscans. The Parish Church of the Holy Blood of Jesus of Graz appears on the right when leave the Armory.

The Cathedral of Graz

Originally the Cathedral of Graz was built as a defensive church on the outskirts of the city and served until 1786 that the church of the Imperial Court. It survived almost intact until now.

The interior has preserved the original late Gothic character, but in the seventeenth and the eighteenth century, the Jesuits have added a sumptuous polychrome marble altar, a masterpiece of Baroque in Styria. On the south-western part, a number of votive frescoes mandated in 1480 by the citizens of Graz, commemorates that they escaped from the calamities sent by God – Turks, locust and plague.

The Baroque interior of the Catheral of Graz has a reticulated arch. The altar has a large space in front were at the entrance are placed two boxes of relics. Brought by the Jesuits they once were the dowry chests of Duchess of Mantua, Paola di Gonzaga. Made of ebony wood and decorated with reliefs of bone and ivory, they dates from the late fifteenth century. The organ from 1978 has over 5,000 pipes.

The Cathedral of Graz

The Cathedral of Graz ©barnyz/Flick

The Franciscan Church

Inside the Franciscan Church in Graz the chapel of St. James dates from 1320 to 1330. There are also Gothic Claustre with splendid tombstones. The interior was redesigned after the Second World War and the combination of the restored vault and the modern stained glass with old details creates a striking effect. Alongside the church is a monastery with a great turn. Both have an unusual square shape, surrounded by buildings with baroque facades.

The Franciscan Church in Graz at night

The Franciscan Church in Graz at night ©borkur.net/Flick

The Parish Church of the Holy Blood of Jesus

The Parish Church of the Holy Blood of Jesus in Graz was originally built in Gothic style, it was remodeled in Baroque style, that between 1875 – 1882 to return to the Gothic style. Its beautiful baroque bell tower was built entirely of wood in the eighteenth century. Above, the cross with three bars reminds its dedication to the Pope. Inside, in the southern ship you can admire the Tintoretto’s Assumption painting. The windows near the altar, more specifically, on the left side, the fourth window on the bottom from right depicts Hitler and Mussolini taking part in the flogging of Jesus.

The Parish Church of the Holy Blood of Jesus

The Parish Church of the Holy Blood of Jesus ©♣ ℓ u m i è r e ♣/Flick

 

Leave a Reply