The Parish Church and the Saint Peter Church of Friesach

The Church of Saint Peter in Friesach

The Church of Saint Peter in Friesach ©pixel0908/Flick

The Parish Church of Friesach in its current form dates back to the late nineteenth century, when it was restored after a fire that severely affected it, but it was first mentioned in a document from 1187. The church was damaged over the centuries by numerous fires, each time being rebuilt, so over time many changes occurred to its construction.

The church dedicated to “Saint Peter” is a Roman Catholic church and it is located on a hill in the town Friesach. The first document relating to the Saint Peter Church of Friesach dates back from 1130 and it was an important religious building in the past.

The town of Friesach

The town of Friesach ©MB Hosting u. Webdesign/Flick

The Parish Church of Friesach

The Parish Church of Friesach is distinguished by the stained glass windows in Gothic style, dating from the 13th and 14th century, the Baroque altar, built in 1679, and the statues of the 12 apostles of Jesus. The pulpit dates from 1790, it was built by Johann Reiter, the altar and the nave were made in 1700, 1710 and 1900.

The cemetery surrounding the church was closed in 1785 and later the graves were demolished. But were kept some old graves dating from 1333 (Bishop Gerold Friesach) or 1553 (George Vischl).

The church dedicated to Saint Bartholomew is the largest in the entire region of Carinthia and has a special and very good acoustics. Since 2000, the church has a new organ, which is used for services and concerts.

The Parish Church is located in the north of the main square in the town of Friesach, being an emblem of the city.

The Parish Church of Saint Bartholomew in Friesach

The Parish Church of Saint Bartholomew in Friesach ©Alois Staudacher/Flick

The Saint Peter Church of Friesach

In the past, during the reign of the Austrian Emperor Joseph II, the Saint Peter Church of Friesach had the status of a parish church.

The oldest part of the church, the choir apse, which is still preserved today, dates back from the mid thirteenth century. The flat ceiling of the church was built in Baroque style. The bell tower was built in 1798, being rebuilt in 1846 and apse is built in Baroque style around the year 1670. The pulpit and the south of the altar is preserved since 1680. Also there are old paintings in the church dating from around the 1500s. It is beautifully painted and includes many scenes from the lives of saints: St. Nepomuk, St. Andrew, St. Barbara, St. Peter and Paul. By the twelfth century around the church was a graveyard.

Visitors who climb the church can have part of a great view over the city of Friesach.

The Church of Saint Peter in Friesach

The Church of Saint Peter in Friesach ©pixel0908/Flick

 

Leave a Reply