Historical attractions in Freistadt

The central square of Freistadt

The central square of Freistadt ©3j0hn/Flick

Also known as the Cathedral of St. Catherine, the Parish Church of Freistadt is the most important religious building of the city. It is located in the Dechanthofplatz Market no.1. The church is dedicated to St. Catherine of Alexandria and was built in the 13th century, and the first documents of the church are dating from 1288.

The Castle Museum of Freistadt was founded in 1926 and is the only museum in the city. It is located in the south wing of the castle and contains over 20,000 exhibits from various periods, some of the being more than 800 years old.

 

The walls of Freistadt

The walls of Freistadt ©tschörda/Flick

The Parish Church of Freistadt

The Parish Church is one of the main historical attractions in Freistadt and was originally built in Romanesque style. In 1640 the altar and later, in the period between 1687 and 1732, the church was transformed into a Gothic building. The fires in the years 1507 and 1516 destroyed the Gothic altars, and the whole interior of the church.

Between 1736-1737 the Austrian architect Johann Michael Prunner restored the church, changing it’s architectural style into Baroque. In 1967 the Parish Church of Freistadt was completely renovated, trying to make a symbiosis between Gothic and Baroque styles, and between 2004-2005 was built a new organ by the Swiss Breinbauer Metzler.

The Parish Church of Freistadt is the only church in Austria with five aisles. In the church you find the Baroque statues of saints St. Joachim and St. Anne, St. Joseph and St. Mary, St. Benedict and St. Leonard, the statues of St. Sebastian and Florian, St. Ottilie, St. Dominic, the crucifixion of St. Peter and The Last Supper.

The church tower in Freistadt has a height of 67 m and has 4 balconies from where can be admired the entire downtown, but the tower is not opened to visitors only in special cases.

The central square of Freistadt

The central square of Freistadt ©3j0hn/Flick

The Castle Museum of Freistadt

The Freistadt Castle, built between 1363-1398, hosts the Mühlviertler Castle Museum and the Tax Office. The collections of the museum began to be compiled since 1921 and have the following topics: history, folklore, glass painting and various crafts.

The collection of glass painting is in the former chapel of the castle and contains more than 530 exhibits from the period of 1770-1930, the largest in Austria. Most of the paintings illustrate South Bohemia and the city of Sandl, located in the vicinity of Freistadt.

The Castle Tower houses folklore, superstition and traditional practices exhibitions. From a height of about 50 meters on the top floor, the tower provides a gorgeous panorama of the old part of the city of Freistadt. On the second floor are exposed images of old town of Freistadt, and on the third floor there are antiques, especially furniture.

You can also find some exhibitions in the house of the officials and in the old stables built in 1588.

Castle Museum in Freistadt

Castle Museum in Freistadt ©tschörda/Flick

 

Leave a Reply